Remington's Nick-names...

*Reme -- derived from your name, shortened.

*Duckie
-- because in one of the first ultrasound pictures we had of you in utero, you resembeled a little duck with plumage atop the head. Your face was turned towards what looked like a duck's preening feathers at tail's end.

*Son-shine -- because Daddy sings a special song for you, all about you being his Son.

*Little Him -- this moniker came about because someone was talking to you about your Dad. They said: "we know you love Him (meaning Daddy)." After that, I started calling you "Little Him."

*Squeaker -- from Aunt Joyce because you squeaked at her every time she picked you up.

*Little Man -- from Daddy whenever he sings to you or says loving things to you.

*Cuddle Bug
-- because you snuggle with Mommie whenever she burps you or whenever you are sleeping in her arms.

*Mommie's Tigger -- because as you are learning to walk and crawl you either get on your hands and knees and rock back and forth in a bouncing motion OR stand up and bounce, bounce, bounce. Also, you enjoy being bounced on the bed, or in your Exer-saucer. Sometimes you will stand on the couch, holding on to the back of the couch, me or Daddy and bounce away!

*Speed Racer -- because as you are crawling you move lightening fast!!!!!

*Mister -- Daddy started calling you "Mister" after you turned one year of age because you are maturing so fast. It is a nick-name that came about quite by accident...Daddy was trying to spit out Little Man, but somehow the words Mister Man came out and then got shortened to 'Mister.'

*Lil' Tornado -- because you are a whirlwind! You are interested in EVERYTHING and get into EVERYTHING...and as my adventurer...I think it is wonderful!

*Haaaaamm Sanwich -- because you have an amazing sense of humor!!! This nick-name started when you were 18 months old. You have the funnest personality!









Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Comedy of Errors OR I Have the Best Baby In the World...

Dear Little Him: Today it seemed as if negative energy met us at every corner! We had plans to see your Great Grandma, and of course, high velocity winds made the trek from Tooele to Salt Lake City an extended one. We got to Rocky Mountain Speedway (in Magna) and I realized that I had forgotten a book that had been recalled from the Marriott Library, so we turned around and went home to get the book.

You generally sleep on long car rides, but today, you were restless and awake for the entire 1 hour drive to see Triple G (the term of endearment that Daddy uses for your Great Grandma Glick)...so you were fussy when we arrived at her place. Mommie changed you, in the course of changing you, you decided to be a little pee-pot...as I was wiping you decided to "mark your territory" (so to speak) and urinated on Grandma's Betty Boop Comforter. You and I hadn't had a pee shower in MONTHS, so I was feeling a bit sheepish. Grandma just laughed and told me not to worry about it, reminding me that urine is sterile...

After the pee incident, and because you were still indicating you were hungry, I tried to Nurse you -- our usual routine after such a long drive. Today, at your Great Grandma's you wouldn't latch well when Nursing and only Nursed 5 minutes on each breast. You would then whine (a new sound of discontent)...Mommie thought you were hungry and so added 6 ounces of supplemental formula. This is the amount you are generally taking when you've gone 3-4 hours between feedings. The last feeding had been 3 hours prior to our Nursing attempt, and I thought it would be okay to give you a full quantity of formula. Boy was I wrong!!! You were content and played with Great Grandma for about 15 minutes and then gave Mom your "I'm wet" cry. When I laid you down to change you, you started to projectile vomit all over Grandma's lovely pink bedspread! You had even burped every 2 ounces, which you normally don't do...I was surprised that I had overfed you. Your Great Grandma Glick is awesome though, while I was berating myself for our little mishap, she encouraged me to write about it in your Baby Book stating: "it will make a great, humorous story one day."

So up to this point, you'd been in the car for 2 hours, had a pee and vomit "adventure"...we got back in the car to beat the weather (it was still windy, but clouds were rolling in and it was starting to sprinkle. The clouds were heavy, dark gray storm clouds; and I had remembered that the forecast had predicted Thunder and Lightning showers) and run an errand. Our next stop was the University of Utah.

We arrived at the U's library about 20 minutes after leaving Triple G's. The wind had picked up and it was still sprinkling, so, I took you out of the car and covered your infant carrier. Then you and I traipsed up a HUGE hill to get to the library main entrance. The "hill" is actually a series of four elevated staircases. The walk from the car to the top of the hill/main Library entrance took us about 15 minutes because Mommie was wearing high heels. After we entered the Library, we needed to find one of the head Librarian's, which took another 15 minutes. You were quiet and trying so hard to sleep to no avail...the lighting and sounds of the copy machines whirring were new and interesting, so even though still covered you were trying to figure out what was going on. Whenever I would check you, you had your forehead crinkled in thought!

Finally, we got back on the road about 4:15pm (we had left our home at 12:30pm -- so it had been an approximate 4 hour excursion thus far). About 4:50pm we took exit 99, which gets us back home, only to find that electrical wires were down from the high winds...there was a very long traffic delay. You fussed for about 5 minutes and then settled in with me for the wait. About 5:00pm we were on our way again, and you were trying to doze...just as you were falling asleep, we pulled up to our home and I extracted you from the car/infant carrier.

It had again been about 3 hours since the last feeding, so when we got in the door (at 5:30pm), you started to make your "I'm hungry" sounds, so I Nursed you. You and I were sitting in the rocking chair. This chair has two positions for rocking, upright and then recline. I placed the chair in recline so you would have better access for feeding. I decided to sit cross-legged and gently rock. Your Aunt Joyce called, so I was holding you in one arm, the phone in the other, and rocking and talking....all of a sudden a backlash occurred! Something changed with the center of gravity and you and I tipped all the way over! Mommie let out a scream because I was startled. You remained calm, and latched to my breast. Once Daddy and I tipped the chair back to its rightful position, he said to me (amidst guffaws): "You are very good Mom...you were holding on to Remington for dear life -- he didn't even unlatch when you and he went over the chair backwards." At this point, I too laughed until I was crying. Aunt Joyce was still on the other end of the phone and when I told her what happened she chuckled. Thank heavens neither of us was hurt!

SO, I feel that with all of the traipsing through Tooele and Salt Lake, the pee accident, the vomiting, and flipping over the chair you had A LOT to process. You were really good through-out the day's adventures, not crying or getting scared -- remaining calm, cooing and smiling often. Because of how positively you handled the day when I was feeling EVERYTHING was going wrong, I think you are the BEST BABY IN THE WORLD! Mommie is soooo lucky to have you.

Love Forever and x Infinity,

Mommie.

No comments:

Post a Comment