Dear Remington: Today's entry is more about a "Mommie" adventure than a "Reme" adventure. There are days that I feel that I am doing a great job as your Mom; and then there are others that I feel very inadequate and inept. Each day I learn something new and/or a better way to care for you -- to meet all of your needs, help you with your development, and communicate. So, with encouragement from your Grandma, I went on my very first errand by myself. I went to a local store here in Tooele and planned for a very short outing. I had fed you, changed you, and made sure you were dry before going into the store. You were calm and quiet until I hoisted your car seat onto the shopping cart, and then you started screaming at the top of your lungs. This behavior is a little new for Mommie and scares me when it happens, you are hard to soothe. However, last time this happened (when I was home with Daddy) all it took to calm you down was walking from room to room in the house. It took about 10 minutes until you stopped crying. Today, I thought that you would calm down because we would be moving. After about 7 minutes of you crying non-stop (and at the top of your lungs) while I was worrying about you, a woman whom I've never met came up to me and said: "Stop ignoring and neglecting your baby; can't you hear it crying?!" I replied: "Ma'am, I am not ignoring my baby. Is his crying bothering you? Would you like me to leave?" She harrumphed, turned and stomped off. I walked you a little more. I felt awful, and I felt guilty, and I felt like a horrible Mom because of her words. I decided I'd walk around outside and see if that would help...it did. The moment I took you off the cart and just carried you in the infant carrier you stopped crying...I guess you didn't like the angle you were at on the shopping cart and preferred the motion and swaying of me holding the carrier. The reason I am writing about this experience is because I learned something important. People aren't always nice, empathetic, and can be judgmental without even knowing another Human being's situation, but there is a choice. Although this woman's words affected me greatly in a negative way, I held it together for your sake. I chose to continue with our experience and finish the outing and errand (the melt-down came later). I also learned that attitude is everything -- it truly can determine altitude. While I was "holding it together" I was positive things would be okay and it was. While I want to always protect you from the mean-spirited, hateful people of the world, I know I won't be able to in every circumstance. I hope for you that you will choose the right attitude to have the most positive experience, even amidst a not so positive moment. I also hope for you that you will surround yourself with family, friends, and mentors who will build you up instead of bring negativity to you. Luckily for me, when the melt-down came I had your Daddy, Aunt Joyce, and Pediatrician to act as my support system and assure me I did nothing wrong. In fact, the Pediatrician felt that either the woman who accused me of ignoring you and neglecting you has never had Children of her own, or that all of her children were very calm and not very fussy. It is probably the former which is true...so I am taking the lessons and the moment in stride.
I love you with my whole heart, mind, and strength. You mean the world and more to me, Remington. I hope you will always know that.
Love Forever and x Infinity,
Mommie.
Remington's Nick-names...
*Reme -- derived from your name, shortened.
*Duckie -- because in one of the first ultrasound pictures we had of you in utero, you resembeled a little duck with plumage atop the head. Your face was turned towards what looked like a duck's preening feathers at tail's end.
*Son-shine -- because Daddy sings a special song for you, all about you being his Son.
*Little Him -- this moniker came about because someone was talking to you about your Dad. They said: "we know you love Him (meaning Daddy)." After that, I started calling you "Little Him."
*Squeaker -- from Aunt Joyce because you squeaked at her every time she picked you up.
*Little Man -- from Daddy whenever he sings to you or says loving things to you.
*Cuddle Bug -- because you snuggle with Mommie whenever she burps you or whenever you are sleeping in her arms.
*Mommie's Tigger -- because as you are learning to walk and crawl you either get on your hands and knees and rock back and forth in a bouncing motion OR stand up and bounce, bounce, bounce. Also, you enjoy being bounced on the bed, or in your Exer-saucer. Sometimes you will stand on the couch, holding on to the back of the couch, me or Daddy and bounce away!
*Speed Racer -- because as you are crawling you move lightening fast!!!!!
*Mister -- Daddy started calling you "Mister" after you turned one year of age because you are maturing so fast. It is a nick-name that came about quite by accident...Daddy was trying to spit out Little Man, but somehow the words Mister Man came out and then got shortened to 'Mister.'
*Lil' Tornado -- because you are a whirlwind! You are interested in EVERYTHING and get into EVERYTHING...and as my adventurer...I think it is wonderful!
*Haaaaamm Sanwich -- because you have an amazing sense of humor!!! This nick-name started when you were 18 months old. You have the funnest personality!
*Duckie -- because in one of the first ultrasound pictures we had of you in utero, you resembeled a little duck with plumage atop the head. Your face was turned towards what looked like a duck's preening feathers at tail's end.
*Son-shine -- because Daddy sings a special song for you, all about you being his Son.
*Little Him -- this moniker came about because someone was talking to you about your Dad. They said: "we know you love Him (meaning Daddy)." After that, I started calling you "Little Him."
*Squeaker -- from Aunt Joyce because you squeaked at her every time she picked you up.
*Little Man -- from Daddy whenever he sings to you or says loving things to you.
*Cuddle Bug -- because you snuggle with Mommie whenever she burps you or whenever you are sleeping in her arms.
*Mommie's Tigger -- because as you are learning to walk and crawl you either get on your hands and knees and rock back and forth in a bouncing motion OR stand up and bounce, bounce, bounce. Also, you enjoy being bounced on the bed, or in your Exer-saucer. Sometimes you will stand on the couch, holding on to the back of the couch, me or Daddy and bounce away!
*Speed Racer -- because as you are crawling you move lightening fast!!!!!
*Mister -- Daddy started calling you "Mister" after you turned one year of age because you are maturing so fast. It is a nick-name that came about quite by accident...Daddy was trying to spit out Little Man, but somehow the words Mister Man came out and then got shortened to 'Mister.'
*Lil' Tornado -- because you are a whirlwind! You are interested in EVERYTHING and get into EVERYTHING...and as my adventurer...I think it is wonderful!
*Haaaaamm Sanwich -- because you have an amazing sense of humor!!! This nick-name started when you were 18 months old. You have the funnest personality!
There are always people out there that speak without thinking. I think your pediatrician is right, she probably doesn't have kids. Most people who have kids would look at your situation and quietly sympathize. She could have made a better choice in how she approached you as well. Instead of automatically thinking the worst of you, she could have offered help or concern instead of accusations. Unfortunately, like you said, life is full of people like this and I think that the important thing is how WE choose to react to them. We can either let them win and make us feel miserable, or we can pity them that they have nothing better to do than to make others feel inadequate. Rachel, I have always thought you would make the best mom in the whole world! You are so smart and pay attention to details others wouldn't think of. Remington is very lucky to have you as his mom. As long as you love him and you trust your instincts, you will make the right decisions and it doesn't matter what anyone else (well, with the exception of Ron of course!) thinks.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete