Remington's Nick-names...

*Reme -- derived from your name, shortened.

*Duckie
-- because in one of the first ultrasound pictures we had of you in utero, you resembeled a little duck with plumage atop the head. Your face was turned towards what looked like a duck's preening feathers at tail's end.

*Son-shine -- because Daddy sings a special song for you, all about you being his Son.

*Little Him -- this moniker came about because someone was talking to you about your Dad. They said: "we know you love Him (meaning Daddy)." After that, I started calling you "Little Him."

*Squeaker -- from Aunt Joyce because you squeaked at her every time she picked you up.

*Little Man -- from Daddy whenever he sings to you or says loving things to you.

*Cuddle Bug
-- because you snuggle with Mommie whenever she burps you or whenever you are sleeping in her arms.

*Mommie's Tigger -- because as you are learning to walk and crawl you either get on your hands and knees and rock back and forth in a bouncing motion OR stand up and bounce, bounce, bounce. Also, you enjoy being bounced on the bed, or in your Exer-saucer. Sometimes you will stand on the couch, holding on to the back of the couch, me or Daddy and bounce away!

*Speed Racer -- because as you are crawling you move lightening fast!!!!!

*Mister -- Daddy started calling you "Mister" after you turned one year of age because you are maturing so fast. It is a nick-name that came about quite by accident...Daddy was trying to spit out Little Man, but somehow the words Mister Man came out and then got shortened to 'Mister.'

*Lil' Tornado -- because you are a whirlwind! You are interested in EVERYTHING and get into EVERYTHING...and as my adventurer...I think it is wonderful!

*Haaaaamm Sanwich -- because you have an amazing sense of humor!!! This nick-name started when you were 18 months old. You have the funnest personality!









Friday, March 2, 2012

What Mommie Learned from Our First Fight...



Reme:

You and I had conflict today. I had worked all morning to get things together to go sledding. We had had the most lush and beautiful snow fall the night before and I thought today would be a beautiful day to go out and play in the snow (one of Mommie's favorite past-times). Well, we went to a nearby park. I thought if I directed your attention to the sled and the hill, you would be interested in trying something new...I was wrong -- you wanted to swing. Nevertheless, in my stubborn-ness, I placed you on your sled and started pulling you up the hill. You started having a hissy-fit and slung yourself off the sled. You face-planted in the snow. Then you started to cry and really had a fit...your boot came off and your sock got soaked, which made you mad...I tried to calm you down, but you continued to whoop and holler. I used Mommie's mean voice to try to get you to stop throwing your fit. It didn't work. You got louder and louder...wailing and fighting Mommie. It scared me a little. Somehow, carrying you in the midst of your tantrum I managed to get you, me, and the sled to the top of the hill. Then I sat down on it pulling you onto my lap. You got madder...I tried to get us down the hill but the snow was too fresh and not iced over enough. You flung yourself about. I got scared that the sled would have taken off on its own...and it was directed towards a brick fence -- imagining all of the horrors of an accident between you and said wall, I got grumpy and called you a BRAT! After my mean words to you I took you to the swing. You remained mad at me for a really, really long time...you wouldn't even look me in the eyes when I tried to get you to understand my intentions....it took about an hour of swinging before you would forgive me trying to force you to do what you didn't want to be doing.

I write about this fight between you and I because I want you to know that I was not angry with you...just the situation. I really wanted to share with you a fun activity...I got frustrated when so much of my diligence and hard work didn't come to fruition. Normally, I am a "go with the flow" kind of Mommie, but there was something about this day whereby I didn't proceed with that intent...and things got hard for both of us...we both were unhappy.

I learned so much: 1) that I never want to yell or use words that are destructive to you or have a negative impact; 2) I only want to say and do things to build you up --even if that means that we have contradictory ideas of what things will work towards that end; 3) that I really don't deserve you -- the special, wonderful, perfect little boy I have; 4) knowing that I don't deserve you makes me realize that I always want to be worthy of you and have you in my life....

I am so glad that you have your own will -- that you are strong spirited -- that you will find a voice to express your will even if it is unpopular, hard, or makes you sad or angry. I am grateful that you are independent in your thoughts and actions.

I learned ultimately that I want you to be who you need to be at all stages of your life. I hope that the person you need to be always stands up for yourself, doesn't bow down to any sort of pressure, nor, evades your goals because someone thinks you should do things a different way. I admire you, Son and I am very, very proud of you.

Thank you for teaching me humility, the importance of choosing kind words in all situations, the amazing gift you give me in the opportunity to support and love you unconditionally. You are a light....you are my Son-shine:

"You are my Son-shine, my only Son-shine,
You make me happy every day.

You'll never know Son, how much I love you,
Until you take the car and drive away."

Love Forever and X Infinity,

Mommie.

No comments:

Post a Comment